You are here
6 things to look for when recruiting for agile teams
- Passion and aptitude: I recruit strategically. It is much easier to teach a skill and instill passion.
- Communication: An agile team thrives on strong communication (and I don't mean accents or poor English). If someone can get a point across in 5 words or a simple picture, their in.
- Cultural Fit: I don't want clones, but I need staff who will work well with their colleagues and management.
- Accountability: I want staff who can take on accountability and do not shy away from failure.
- Multi-skilled: I will always prefer to hire staff who can pick up a keyboard and help out a colleague, especially when it is outside of their core skills and "job description" (I also hate those, but that's another story).
- Self Directing: I can't afford to micromanage staff (for my sake and their's). They need to be able to take on requirements and outcomes as required.
And here's a bonus tip for managers (and I believe the most important). You should never recruit new staff to fill an immediate need. New staff should be engaged strategically, and time taken to integrate them into your organisational culture. If you need someone immediately, so be it, but be aware of the risks.
Evan is an experienced leader, coach and published author in the developing field of Agile Business Management; applying the successful concepts and practices from the Lean and Agile movements to corporate management. Evan has a passion for building effective and productive organisations, filled with actively engaged and committed staff while ensuring high-levels of customer satisfaction. Evan's experiences when holding executive and board positions in both private industry and government has driven his passion for lean business management.
His background in Agile Project Management and Business Intelligence informed his understanding of the need for evidence-based decision making and quantitative analysis, to measure corporate success. As well as writing "Directing the Agile Organisation", Evan currently consults to organisations around Australia and SE Asia on Agile management and governance.